Here is a list of best free MAC PSD editor. These PSD editor for MAC let you edit PSD on MAC and help you make desired changes. Different free PSD editors feature various options. Some most useful tools include options towork with layers, add Layers to PSD file, change layer visibility, add blur,vignett>, sharpeng>/strong>ge,
GIMP is one of my favorite PSD editors to edit PSD file on Mac. It has a number of tools and a good interface. Previous layers are displayed and you can work with the same. There are a number of selection and editing options available to choose from. Option is also provided to view and manage channels, path, colormap, histogram, pattern, gradients, palette, etc. You are also allowed to save the PSD file.
GIMP is a free PSD editor for MAC and a good alternative to Photoshop for MAC. This is a full fledged PSD editor, that can truly replace Photoshop on Mac. Its strength lies in working with layers. It can perform all sorts of operations on layers, like: edit layers, delete layers, add layers, etc. The best part is that you can save edited PSD files in PSD format itself (no small feat, let me assure you). It does have a bit of a learning curve as compared to Photoshop, but in terms of technical capability, it is truly wonderful.
In addition to working with layers, it has a whole suite of tools that you can use for editing PSD files:
- Layer Options: Add layers, layer groups, move layers, lock layers, lock pixels, lock alpha channels, layer filters, create duplicate layer, merge layer, and delete layer.
- Transformation Options: Flip, crop, resize, scale, shear, zoom, align, rotate, etc.
- Adjustments: Adjust color, hue, brightness, contrast, saturation, threshold, posterize, desaturate, etc.
- Editing Tools: There are a number of editing tools like, frame, brush, text, rendering, 3D, pattern gradient, paint, pencil, eraser, etc.
- Filters Tools: Various filters tools can be chosen from a list of options, like, blur, enhance, distort, light and shadow, edge detect, noise, artistic, decor, map, render, animation, etc.
Using GEGL operation a number of effects can be applied to PSD files.
Once you are done editing PSD files, you can save them as PSD, or in other formats, like, GIF, GBR, GIH, JPEG, ICO, ORA, PBM, PGM, PNG, PNM, PDF, PPM, TGA, TIFF, BMP, etc.
Krita is another simple and feature rich MAC PSD Editor and can also be used as a good alternative to Photoshop. Using this software you can edit PSD files on MAC and save the edited files as PSD. There are a number of options provided to help you work with Layers. You can change layer visibility, opacity, add/remove layers, lock layers, etc. Information about every particular layer is also displayed, showing you if its visible, locked, opacity, mode, etc. You are provided with the option to add layers, duplicate layers and masks, move layers and mask, group layers and masks, change layer properties, and delete layers. There are a number of other editing options as well that can be put to good use while editing.
- Transformation option: PSD files can be sheared, cropped, rotated, mirrored, split, separated, and flipped.
- Selection option: Advanced Color Selector, Specific Color Selector, and Color Sliders.
- Editing tools: Shape handling, text, pattern editing, calligraphy, gradient editing, freehand brush, line, rectangle, ellipse, polygon, polyline, bezier curve, freehand path, dynamic brush, multi-brush, crop, move, layer transform, measure, fill, color selector, gradient, assistant, grid, perspective grid, rectangular selection, elliptical selection, polygon selection, outline selection, continuous selection, similar color selection, bezier curve selection, etc.
- Filters: Adjust, artistic, blur, colors, edge detection, enhance, emboss, map, wave, noise, etc.
PSD files can be saved as incremental backup, or incremental version. PSD can be exported as KRA, KRANIMSEQ, BMP, XPM, XB, PDF, PGM, PBM, QML, ICB, TGA, TPIC, VDA, VST, TIF, and TIFF formats.
Preview is a pre-loaded software on MAC used to view and edit PSD files. Using Preview, PSD files can be saved as PSD. Here the Layer option is not available and the existing layers are combined and displayed as a single image. You can choose to annotate PSD files with several built in tools.
- Using Preview PSD files can be rotated, flipped, cropped, insert text, shapes, insert signature using a trackpad or iSight Camera.
- Colors can also be adjusted along with the options to set exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, saturation, temperature, tint, sepia, and sharpness.
- PSD can also be resized to required dimensions. Different shape, style, border color, fill color, and text styles can also be incorporated.
- You are provided with different selection options, like: Rectangular select, Lasso Select, Elliptical Select, Smart Lasso, or Instant Alpha.
If required, the image can be exported as ASTC, GIF, ICNS, JPEG, JPEG-2000, Microsoft BMP, KTX, Microsoft Icon, OpenEXR, PBM, PGM, PPM, PDF, PNG, PVRTC, Photoshop, Quick Time Movie, SGI, TGA, or TIFF, but in order to access the extra formats, you need to hold the Option key on keyboard while you click to select from the Format list. Share the PSD file on different platforms, like: Mail, Messages, AirDrop, Notes, Reminders, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Vimeo, Flickr, etc.
Edit PSD on MAC for free using PhotoScape X. It doesn’t support the use of layers, but you can add various effects to PSD files without layers. The effects are quite easy to apply and update. Some of them can be simply applied with a single click. There are a number of other options available to help you batch edit PSD on MAC, create collage, combine images, create GIF, and choose to print images.
- Transformation option: Rotate, straighten, flip, resize, crop, sharpen, vignetting, miniature, and bloom.
- Adjustments option: Auto level, auto contrast, blur, film grain, color emphasis, color replacement, white balance, backlight correction, etc.
- Effects Option: Edge, threshold, watercolor pencil, colored pencil, newsprint, crystallize, jitter, clear skin, cellophane, fisheye, illusion, reflection, dilate, erode, emboss, swirl, wave, motion blur, zoom blur, radial blur, glass tile, etc.
- Color effects: Set auto level, auto contrast, grayscale, sepia, bandicoot, negative, and Black & White, adjust brightness, darkness, depth, vibrance, clarity, darken highlights, lighten shadows, contrast, saturation, exposure, gamma brightness, brightness, hue, temperature, and tint.
- Film effect, duotone, light leak, frames, shapes, and border options can also be applied.
- Different options to insert stickers, images, text, filters, arrow, line and various other shapes are also available. For the inserted shape, a number of options can be selected, like: color, type, thickness, opacity, outline, drop shadow, outer glow, and gradient. The size, hardness, color, and opacity can be easily changed.
The PSD file can finally be saved as JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, and TIFF. You can share PSD files on Twitter, Picasa, Facebook, and Flickr.
- Browse to Batch tab of PhotoScape X.
- Drag and drop PSD files you want to batch edit.
- Apply effects to PSD files from the options: resize, rotate, color mode, adjustment, effects, film effect, Frame, and Shape.
- Add sticker, image, and text to PSD files if required.
- Choose the output options where you have to specify destination, output format, and naming options.
- Process the batch of images.
PhotoPad is a simple MAC PSD Editor freeware which can be used to edit PSD files on MAC. It doesn’t support the use of layers, but can be used to edit PSD files using several tools, like: selection, color, filters, effects, tools, etc. It can also be used to batch edit PSD on MAC, create collage on MAC, create embroidery, and paint by numbers.
- Transformation tools: Auto fix, crop, resize, flip, liquid resize, rotate, and change background options of PSD files.
- Selection tools: Rectangle selection, oval selection, polygon selection, free form selection, magnet selection, and wand selection. The selected area can be cropped or filled with a particular color as per the requirement.
- Color tools: Set brightness, contrast, exposure, color curves, color balance, set color levels, set auto levels, use auto fix, grayscale, saturation, hue, tint, temperature, and gradient map.
- Filters tools: Apply filters like sepia, negative, color boost, electric, vintage, aqua, redwood, sunglow, amber, orchid light, nocturnal, etc.
- Effects option: Regional effects, blur, sharpen, noise reduction, lens reduction, local focus, vignette, pixelate, brick, oil paint, cartoon, and color removal.
- Editing tools: Use text, draw tool, clone tool, insert image, perform touch up, reduce red eye, produce warp effect, add clipart, frames, etc.
The edited image can be shared on Flickr, Facebook, Email, Dropbox, and Google Drive. PSD file can be saved as JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG, and TIFF. If required a file can also be saved as PPP (PhotoPad Project) file.
This software is only free for personal use. If you want to use it commercially, you will have to buy a license from its website.
OpenOffice Draw is a part of the OpenOffice suite that can be used to view and edit PSD on MAC for free. Though the individual layers of PSD files are not displayed and you are not allowed to play around with predefined layers, you can choose to add new layers and tinker around a bit using a number of tools to edit PSD file.
Different shapes, text, images, diagrams, charts, tables, images, font-work, slides, hyperlinks, tables, objects, floating frames etc. can be inserted into PSD files. Various format options are available to help you add and format text, format paragraphs, format graphics, etc. Image can be rotated, flipped, cropped, and the transparency of the image can be changed. PSD can be transformed to curve, polygon, contour, 3D, 3D rotation object, bitmap, and meta file.
Save your PSD file as ODG, OTG, SXD, and STD. Edited PSD can also be exported in different formats, like: BMP, EMF, EPS, GIF, JPEG, MET, PBM, PCT, PGM, PNG, PPM, RAS, SVG, SVM, TIFF, WMF, XPM, PDF, HTML, and SWF. Option is also provided to share images via Email.
Edit PSD files on MAC using LiveQuartz Lite. After you open PSD files, the previous layers are not displayed, but the option is provided to work with new layers. Layers can be set to be visible or invisible, layers can be named, and other settings can be changed, like: Alpha, Scaling, Rotation, etc.
There are some other options to choose from, like: brush tool, duplication tool, drawing tool, gradient tool, text tool, eraser tool, background eraser, filter tool, color picker, rectangle selection, ellipse selection, lasso selection, and zoom tool to edit PSD files. There are a number of filters to be applied, like: geometry adjustment, distortion effect, blur, sharpen, color adjustment, color effect, stylize, halftone effect, tile effect, transition, and composite operation.
Edited file can be saved as RHIF or exported as PDF, PNG, JPEG, JPEG2000, TIFF, TGA, GIF, BMP, and OpenEXR.
Photos is another inbuilt software on MAC that maintains a database of the images on MAC. Here PSD files are displayed as single image and without layers. Using Photos, options can be chosen to create book, create calendar, create slideshow, cards, album, etc. But these are one of the minor tweaks that you can choose to apply on PSD files.
PSD files can be edited using tools to enhance, rotate, and crop images. Different filters, adjustments, retouch, and red eye reduction effects can also be applied to PSD. Extensions can be put to use to edit images further in this MAC PSD editor. Export your PSD as JPEG, TIFF, or PNG. PSD files can be shared on different platforms, like: Mail, Messages, AirDrop, Notes, Remainders, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Vimeo, Flickr, etc.
LibreOffice is a freeware Open Office Suite and can be used to edit PSD files. When you open PSD files on MAC in LibreOffice, images are displayed, but the layers that make up the image are not displayed. You are provided with options to add your own layers and edit PSD files. Layers can be added and options can be chosen to set its visibility, printability, and whether to lock it or not.
Different selection, line, line color, fill color, rectangle, ellipse, lines, arrows, curve, connector, shapes, symbols, block arrows, flowchart, callouts, stars, 3D objects, etc. options are available to make use of. Various other options available to help you insert images, media, chart, table, text, textbox, fontwork, and effects are also available. Here the effects can be applied to convert PSD file to 3D, 3D rotation object, bitmap, and metafile.
Save your PSD as ODG, OTG, and FODG. Files can also be exported as HTML, XHTML, PDF, SWF, BMP, EMF, EPS, GIF, JPEG, MET, PBM, PCT, PGM, PNG, PPM, RAS, SVG, SVM, TIFF, WMF, and XPM.
XnRetro is a simple software that can be used to edit PSD files on MAC. It is quite simple and easy to use. These doesn’t support use of layers, but you can easily apply certain effects, like: Retro, Light, Vignette, and Frame from a set of options available that suits you best.
There are a number of predefined settings available to make changes to the PSD files which can be applied with a single click. PSD files can also be rotated, zoomed, etc. Further, options can be chosen to display square output, set brightness, contrast, gamma, exposure, saturation, red balance, green balance, blue balance, noise, vignetting, and light opacity.
Edited PSD files can then be saved as PNG or JPEG. Share them on Flickr, Picasa, Facebook, Imgur, Tumblr, ImageShack, Yfrog, GlowFoto, TwitPic, or Email.
Image Tricks Lite is a simple freeware that can be used to edit PSD files for free. It doesn’t support the use of layers, but has a number of tools to help you apply effects from a list of available tools.
Different Filters, Quartz, and Generators can be applied so as to help you achieve desired effects. PSD files can be rotated, flipped, cropped, zoomed in, or zoomed out. Different Borders, frames, printable frames, border masks, and masks can be added. Other effects available to edit PSD on this free MAC PSD editor are: transform, color, focus, distortion, style, halftone, tile, lumine, overlap, stylize, distortion, utility, lines and fields, gradient, laying, etc.
Autodesk Pixlr is another freeware to edit PSD files on MAC. Here the chance to work with layers is not provided. But there are a number of options available to be applied on PSD files to help you edit and annotate PSD. In order to make use of the full features, you have to log in to the software first.
Using Autodesk Pixlr, you can choose the options to crop, straighten, resize, set auto contrast, autofix, heal, remove red eye, change focal, and apply splash. Different color, contrast, blur, sharpen, smooth, etc. options can be refined. There are a number of effect, overlay, border, stylize, and stickers to be applied on PSD files.
PSD file can be saved as PNG, JPEG, BMP and TIFF.
XnSketch is a simple sketching software that can be used to perform minor editing to PSD files. You are not allowed to work with layers in this software. PSD file can be saved as PNG or JPEG.
Effects and mask options are available to choose from: Black & White, White & Black, Neon, Pastel, Dull Pastel, Mono, Sketch B&W, Sketch, Pencil, Cartoon, Photocopy, Halftone, Hope, Copycolor, Cutout, Oil, Print, Hatching, and Stamp. There are options available to set brightness, contrast, gamma, exposure, exposure, saturation, edges, colors, opacity, etc.
Paint X Lite is a free PSD editor for MAC. Paint X Lite doesn’t support the use of layers, but you can choose to edit the PSD files quite easily. PSD files can be saved as PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, and TIFF formats.
There are a number of selection options to choose from: rectangular selection, free form selection, and transparent selection. Add transformation and various effects to your PSD in this MAC PSD editor, such as: flip, crop, draw, erase, paint, insert text, make use of brushes, insert shapes, choose outline and fill options, etc.
Article Source: 14 Best Free MAC PSD Editor